Breakneck Ridge Trail // new york

8:39:00 AM

Many know that I am a mountain-lover currently landlocked in Manhattan. And while I am greatly enjoying my time in the wild city, my heart and my feet are constantly being pulled toward the rolling hills and magic mountains. Luckily, a 90-minute train ride and a $15 ticket gives the adventuring city dweller an opportunity to escape to the river-hugging mountains in the Hudson Highlands.

Early on a Saturday morning, I dusted off my well-worn hiking boots, filled my water bottles and marched to Grand Central Station to climb aboard the Hudson Line. Breakneck Ridge's trailhead has its very own stop along the Hudson Line - a true gift to an adventure-seeker without a car.

Lathered up with sunscreen and mentally prepared to face the 90-degree weather, my two fellow hikers and I hopped off the train and immediately headed upward. We could no longer control the urge to get on the mountain.

The first 45-minutes of the hike is a rigorous rock scramble that leads to a lookout along the Hudson River. It offers views of Storm King mountain and Bannerman Castle on Pollepel Island. After a moment for hydration and appreciation for the views, we wiped our foreheads and finished the remainder of the rock scramble - about 30-minutes.

As you turn your back to the river and walk toward the shaded ridge, you are flanked by one, interrupted wave of green trees on your right. It's a sight I hadn't seen in months. The views of the Hudson and the sounds of the trains fade away as you walk through the tall forest, but the sounds of birds and distant happy hikers come into earshot.

While many hikers turn around at the top of the rock scramble and return to either their car or the train station, we decided to take the long loop and make our way South, to the charming town of Cold Spring, NY. Cold Spring was beyond precious and the perfect place to do a quick sock change and scarf down a PB+J before catching the train back to the city.

The hike was nothing short of rewarding and is a perfect excuse to get out of the city. I can only imagine the trail views in the Fall, so it's easy for me to say - I'll be back!



You Might Also Like

0 comments